Local Honey Naturally Elevates Your Baking.
Nothing is sweeter than honey and its diversity of uses makes it a truly unique ingredient. From face masks to the ideal sweetener for your cup of tea, honey is an all-natural product that never goes bad and can be used for so many things. Using it in place of sugar results in sweeter tastes with less fructose- making it perfect for the healthy baker. It’s equally appropriate in sweetening a turkey or ham glaze, drizzling on brie, or creating tacky delight in baklava. Here are some tips to make your holidays even more memorable with honey:
- Glazes: Add honey to almost any glaze you put together for your Thanksgiving turkey. We like a honey glaze with dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, orange juice, and thyme.
- Cheese: Warm Brie in an ovenproof dish until it’s soft, but not melted. Drizzle warm honey over and serve with crusty bread.
- Cakes: Try honey in place of some or all of the sugar in your favorite cake. It doesn’t always work, but it works more than it doesn’t. Bake a practice cake prior to the big day to confirm!
Substituting Honey For Sugar? Check Out These Tips:
- Use 1/2 – 3/4 cup of honey for each cup of sugar
- Reduce the amount of liquid by 1/4 cup for each cup of sugar replaced
- Reduce cooking temp by 25 degrees (honey browns your bake more efficiently.
- For recipes without baking soda, add 1/4 tsp for each cup of sugar replaced with honey.
Pick-Up Your Local Honey From Sunrise Farms.
We raise our bees on our family farm in Stuarts Draft, VA. We sell Wildflower honey, cut comb, and creamed honey in jars, quarts, and gallons out of our storefront open Monday through Saturday. While there, check out our Non-GMO meat, eggs, and feed from our local, family farm.